Thursday, October 06, 2011

Central Asia: Pray for the Fellowship!


I got to meet with the IFES (International Fellowship of Evangelical Students) staff for the first time yesterday! They are very busy with the start of school. I had brought a presentation about donor communications from our national staff conference, but I wasn't sure if it would apply to the staff here. But one of the first things the director asked was if I could talk about good fundraising communications! A great fit! I've also offered to share about the Red Cup outreach, and they are interested to hear about our work and how God is working among students in the States. 

I will present at the city team staff meeting on October 22nd, just before I leave on the 23rd. They have also invited me to visit a city team about a 6 hour bus ride west, over mountain passes. This smaller city may have some english-learning based activities I can help with, as well as presenting to the staff. If the trip can be arranged, and hopefully someone can come with me, I'll travel to the other city October 12th-16th, so please be praying then.

Tonight I'll be attending the IFES women's meeting at one of the Universities here, and tomorrow is Bible study. They are called 'Salt of the Earth' in Russian and meet regularly Thursday and Friday nights.The movement can be fairly open in it's activities at the moment. Since the revolution the new government has other projects than monitoring church activity, but people are still cautious (hence not naming cities). Invites are mostly word-of-mouth, ministry is relational. The work seems much the same as in the US-- we are one body!--but I'll see for myself this evening. The city team leader will pick me up and she speaks English, so hopefully she'll translate a bit for me!

3 comments:

Mary Sue said...

Love hearing from you and what you describe. You, the others, and all your efforts are in our prayers. Eddie & Mary Sue

Patricia G said...

Greet our friends at the fellowship! Sorry I forgot to mention that, design-wise, nothing ever matches. Thinking of you

Jean C said...

Great hearing from you! Sounds like you're seeing some real potential for open doors for yourself. I'll be praying for you. Radical, girl!