Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Red Cup goes on Spring Break


We think of College students’ spring breaks as road trips, sunburns and partying on the beach. And the InterVarsity students that headed to Panama City Beach, Florida did that with a twist: they brought Red Cup along! Students participating in Soul Surf, InterVarsity's spring break evangelism trip, gave away free pancakes, threw pool parties and even hosted a live band. They used the The Red Cup display on spiritual thirsts to connect with the thousands of spring breakers holding red cups on the beach.

This led to spiritual conversations with people who wouldn’t go near a church. We brought Jesus to the same bar that hosted MTV’s beach bash of 100 kegs, 500 gallons of mixed drinks, and 1,000 pizzas the next day. This is a scene mostly missed by Christians, and our students reached out within it! This is incarnational ministry. We are called to “go and be" as well as invite people to “come and see"--on their own turf.

Mike Zientara, staff intern at Illinois State University, wrote about it on the InterVarsity Blog. Here's an excerpt:

 "One evening, after a long day on the beach, I saw students checking out the display, but nobody was working it yet. It felt like a ringing phone where I kept looking around wondering, “Is anyone going to get that?” God pushed me just a little bit farther, out of my own strength and into his, and I began talking with them.

 The conversation unfolded and I learned that two of the students believed in Jesus, but weren't committed to following him daily. I shared the gospel with them and asked if they would like to make that commitment right then.I was surprised when they said yes! I made sure they knew the implications of following Jesus, almost trying to talk them out of their decision. However, it was clear that the Holy Spirit had been working in their lives and they were ready. They stumbled through heartfelt prayers, and committed to following Jesus! Despite my fatigue, God did things through me that I was incapable of and he is able to get the credit."


No comments: