Sunday, December 23, 2012

Red Cup: University of Chicago

Staff Barney Lin shares a story one of his students told:

We started off the year again with a push to engage the campus in spiritual conversations, asking students who didn't mind stopping by, "What are you thirsty for?" and proceeding to ask them if they're interested in what Jesus says about the satisfaction of ultimate thirsts. I was SO ENCOURAGED by how open students were to truly hearing, and dialoguing about Jesus and faith. Here is a short story from a student in InterVarsity who spoke to a militant atheist:

"I honestly believe God's Spirit was there with me, in particular when speaking with a 'militant atheist'. How did I know that? Well, for one, if you know me, you'd know that I'm quite shy, reserved, and absolutely hate conflict. Indeed I felt that the strength to keep the conversation going, though at times I did feel like a punching bag, was not my own. And more so the patience and the absence of hate. 'Cause I know that on my own, I would have been totally infuriated and personally offended, but God really enabled me to speak boldly but respectfully with love. And finally, I know that God was with me during the span of the conversation because I felt absolutely no stress while speaking with  him. It was only after he left that I realized that I was emotionally drained. I'll be honest - I kinda burst into tears. BUT I was confused 'cause I didn't know why I was crying, 'cause it wasn't because I felt personally offended/attacked (which is still mindboggling to me). I do believe it was the Spirit weeping for him. That he was so blind and hardened. I must say I've never so acutely experienced God's heart for His creation before. But yeah - what a truly blessed experience. And I think about how Jesus taught us to love our enemies (what a crazy teaching), and how He himself was scorned and shunned and CRUCIFIED by His own CREATION. It makes me marvel at our Savior that much more."

No comments: