Monday, March 19, 2012

The Every Day: Desparate Pleas

While I try to keep donors and prayer partners keyed in to the large projects I do, I rarely report on the day-to-day requests. But little projects come and go as large projects are in different stages. And to the staff I do the little projects for, they are just as important. Here's an example of how I many staff interact with me: a desperate plea from a new staff who's gotten himself in a last-minute graphics tangle (names removed to protect the innocent):

"I have a favor to ask of you.  I tried doing an iron-on t-shirt…ick…no good.  So I am designing online.  Here is the logo I want to use the front of the t-shirt.  It's too small and low res.  It needs to be 16 inches wide.  I need it in a format I can upload to the online design site for the t-shirt printers.  I have no experience, but I'm trying to keep this cheap, as I am not fully funded.  It's a simple design and would take not any time to put together…minutes really.  I used the Garamond font as recommended in the graphic standards.  I need it ASAP."

This request came in on a Saturday, but I happened to be in the office working on something else. So I took half an hour and made him the right files. I know just what a t-shirt vendor would need and I have the programs to create the right kind of file quickly. A staff might be stuck laboring over this type of thing for hours. I'm glad this person contacted me, because many staff don't know twentyonehurndred is available to help. On the other hand, sadly, if every InterVarsity staff asked us for things like this, we'd never have time for the big projects. His response to what I sent: 

Praise God Grete!!!  Thank you so much for your help!!!

I don't know what he'll use his T-Shirt for, but I know I've helped one of our staff closer to a ministry goal, and to better representing InterVarsity. All in a day's work.

No comments: