Thursday, March 01, 2012

Greek Conference: Indy Stories

“...celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.” Luke 15:32


At Greek Conference Indy our text was The Prodigal Son, but our speakers highlighted both sons- the younger who lived wildly in the distant country and the older who, though he stayed in the father's house, did not understand the father's heart. Both sons shamed and were ashamed of their father, but he came out to meet them both in love and generosity. Many of the students, whether they identified with the rebellious or the grudgingly obedient, ended the conference feeling closer, and committing to living closer, to the father's heart.

While the stats help you see that, it is nothing to having been there. Of the four conferences I have attended, I have never seen the students get so into worship, even dancing and shouting to God! Usually they feel uncomfortable, but the worship leader challenged them, "If you can shout and cheer and dance for your school, or for your [fraternity or sorority] house, than you can do it for God!" And they did!

They weren't just challenged in worship, but in witness. Our speakers, husband and wife team Beau and Kristina Crosetto, stood on stage together and asked students to stand if they wanted to make a decision for Jesus. Beau spoke: "This is like a wedding! Am I going to say to my wife, I'll marry you, but I won't stand up next to you at our wedding? No!" Fifty students stood for one commitment, and half the room, it seemed, stood for the other. He called again both times, waiting for a few more, and they stood. Then friends were told to gather round and bless them.

Our MC declared at sharing time: "If your palms are sweaty you should get up here!" And students did! Many thanked brothers or sisters for dragging them there, many vowed to bring friends next year. Then came even more profound testimonies: public confessions, revelations, and repentance. "I've been lying to everyone I know."  "I've been cutting, harming myself." "I've been furious with God, because my friends died." "I've stayed away from God because I was abused."

"But I'm going to stop," each ended. "because I know now, God loves me."


MORE ON GREEK CONFERENCE
You can watch Beau & Kristina's whole talks on GreekIV's YouTube Channel. (1hr, 30 min)
See more conference photos in the GCXII Facebook Album.

No comments: